The ASTI is processing all membership applications received during the school closure period.
Requirement for proposer and seconder:
If you are applying for membership, but are unable to fill out this section of the form, please send in your form without these signatures. Arrangements are being put in place to process such applications. Please email a copy of your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate processing and if that is not possible, post your application form directly to ASTI Head Office, Thomas Mac Donagh House, Winetavern Street, Dublin 8.
Types of Membership
- Full Membership - For serving lay teachers
- Associate Membership - For serving lay part-time teachers and other defined categories
- Student Membership - For lay Professional Masters in Education or final year college students
- Free membership for your first year of teaching – for the 2019/20 school year.
- Access to ASTI Advantages (Discounts and Offers) Scheme
How to Join
- Click here if you are a Department of Education / ETBI paid teacher to read Join ASTI information card and Application Form.
- Click here if you are a privately paid teacher to read Join ASTI information card and Application Form.
- Click here if you are a Student Member - For lay Professional Masters in Education or final year college students
- Authorise deduction of annual subscription from salary if in receipt of Department / ETBI salary.
- Application form must include names of a proposer and seconder who must be local branch members e.g. school colleagues
- If you have authorised deduction of subscription from salary then no initial subscription is due on joining
- If you have not authorised deduction from salary then an initial subscription should be submitted with application form
- The completed form should be given to your school steward or sent directly to ASTI Head Office.
- When accepted into membership you may attend all subsequent union meetings
Thomas MacDonagh House,
N.B. This form must be printed off and filled in by hand.
What Does ASTI Membership Cost?
Department of Education and Skills / ETBI paid teachers:
Subscription rate for Department / ETBI paid teachers is 0.76% of basic salary (capped at 1.5% of 1st point pre-2011 salary scale). Teachers not on full salary are deducted a pro-rata amount (i.e. 0.76% of their pro-rata salary).
A member receiving a basic salary of €36,318 (gross basic salary) pays 0.76% of salary, amounting to €276.02 p.a. or approx. €10.58 per fortnight. Any member receiving a basic salary of over €47,643 has their subscription capped at 1.05% of 1st point of the pre-2011 salary scale which currently (June 2019) amounts to €362.02 p.a. or approx. €13.88 per fortnight.
School paid teachers:
Subscription rate is based on 1.05% of 1st point of pre-2011 salary scale which currently (June 2019) amounts to €362.09 p.a. Teachers not on full hours pay a fraction of 22 hours. For example, a teacher on 11 hours (half of 22 hours) pays half the annual subscription which is currently (June 2019) €181.05 p.a.
Substitute teachers who are paid by their school pay an annual subscription fee of €50.85.
Membership is free for student teachers - click here for Student application form.
Members on leave:
Members on leave pay an annual subscription fee of €28.80.
N.B. If a member's subscription is in arrears by an mount equal to or greater than five month's subscription, membership shall cease.